Lizzie Borden in Love: Poems in Women's Voices (Crab Orchard) Review

Lizzie Borden in Love: Poems in Women's Voices (Crab Orchard)
Average Reviews:

(More customer reviews)
First, let me say that I discovered Julianna Baggott in Third Coast - a journal out of Michigan. I fell in love. I went on a search to learn more about my "new" favorite poet and discovered the lizzie borden book and immediately ordered it. I devoured it upon arrival and called my three best friends, (also poets) and suggested that they buy it, too. I read a couple of pieces over the phone to my poet friends and they orderd the book, too. The work is simply alive, though the majority of the women the poems are about are not. Norman Rockwell's wife, Helen Keller, Monica Lewinsky and of course Lizzie Borden are present among others. The poems are biographical fiction - Baggott paints tender, raw, angry, forlorn portraits. These poems are written so well that they ring true...it's easy to forget that they are poems and not pieces of autobiography. There is technique here, and patience with word choice and image. The closing piece, about Helen Keller, is worth the price of the book alone. I cannot recommend this book enough... I recommend it to everyone I talk to who's looking for a new poet (or not!).

Click Here to see more reviews about: Lizzie Borden in Love: Poems in Women's Voices (Crab Orchard)

Women's voices offering an intimate view into women's livesLizzie Borden in Love, a collection of poems by national bestselling author Julianna Baggott, offers poignant commentary in the voices of women as varied as Mary Todd Lincoln and Monica Lewinsky. The poems often focus on a particular moment in life: Katherine Hepburn discovers the dead body of her brother in an attic, or painter Mary Cassatt mourns the failure of her eyesight. Sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes ecstatic, the poems in this collection never fail the trust of the subjects of their intimate portrayals

Buy NowGet 25% OFF

Click here for more information about Lizzie Borden in Love: Poems in Women's Voices (Crab Orchard)

0 comments:

Post a Comment